August 21, 2004
5 years
Is the time a kid goes from nursery to Primary 3. I'm talking about the little boy I helped to take care of when I was volunteering at a child care centre near my house before I went to uni. I remember sitting beside him till he drifted off to sleep during the afternoon nap time. He looked so much like the younger brother of my xbf then. Therefore, I felt affinity with him.
Yesterday evening, he was in my house. As my new tutee. I'm giving him tuition for Chinese. He lives two blocks away from me and I often bump into his Mum, who unexpectedly recognises me since the childcare days. So, after some impromptu little chats with his Mum, I became his Chinese tutor.
I took an almost instant liking to my new tutee. At the minimum, he's very fluent in spoken Chinese and is comfortable with the use of the language - something that is becoming very uncommon in kids these days. That's extremely important in teaching languages. You got to have a keen interest and not phobia.
Maybe sacrificing Friday evenings chilling out with friends for this isn't such a lousy trade-off, after all.
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 14:51